Friday, March 15, 2013

Unit 10

 UNIT 10 WORKSHEET

Task 1 – Identify the following conditionals, and for each one:
i) indicate whether it is a zero, first, second, third or mixed conditional
ii) state its usage
iii) give TWO activate stage teaching ideas, and
iv) give examples of sentences you would expect students to produce in your activate stage teaching ideas

a) If it rains tomorrow, I’ll buy an umbrella.

i) First conditional

ii) It is used for a ‘real’ situation in the future that is possible, probable, or even certain, once the condition has been satisfied. In this case, it is possible that there may be rain tomorrow.

iii) 1. Nuclear bunker role-play- Students pretend there is only one more space in a bunker and have to explain why they should get the last spot in the first conditional form.
2. Chain conditionals- Students take turns to continue a first conditional sentence.

iv) 1. If I live, I will sing songs to keep away boredom and entertain people.
If I survive, my knowledge of medicine will save us from disease.

2. If I wake up late, I’ll miss the bus. If I miss the bus, I’ll miss 1st period. If I miss 1st period, I’ll get detention. If I get detention, I’ll get in trouble.


b) If I had studied harder, I would have passed the test.

i) Third conditional

ii) It refers to a hypothetical past action or non-action) and the hypothetical past consequence/result. In this sentence, the person could have passed the test but since he didn’t study harder, he/she didn’t.

iii) 1. Regrets- Students write down three things that they wish they had done in the past in the 3rd conditional form.
2. Have students think of important events that helped shaped them to be who they are now. Have them produce sentences of what would happen if those events never occurred.

iv) 1. If I had told the truth about my grades, I would have received tutoring help.
If I had been nicer, I would have more friends.

2. If I had never graduated from college, I would have been a miserable person.
If I had never met my boyfriend, I would have not been married.


c) If I had studied medicine, I would be a doctor.

i) Mixed conditional

ii) It refers to a hypothetical past action or state, and the hypothetical present consequence. The sentence describes something he/she could have changed in the past (studied medicine), and the possible present consequence that past change would have caused (become a doctor).

iii) 1. What a question! – Give students moral dilemmas in the mixed conditional form to discuss.  
2. Picture this- Students are give two pictures and must produce a mixed conditional sentence from the pictures.

iv) 1. If you had found a wallet with $1,000, what would you do with it?
If I had found it, I would give it to the police. Or I would donate it to charity if I had found it. Or If no one had claimed after 30 days, I would keep it.

2. Picture 1 is a girl washing a dog, and picture 2 is the girl stepping back while the dog shakes off the water.
If that girl had not stepped back in time, she would be wet.


d) If I inherited a million dollars, I would buy a new house.

i) Second conditional

ii) It communicates a present or future ‘unreal’, hypothetical situation that is presently not true and is unlikely ever to be true. In this sentence, unless this person was an heir to a millionaire, it is very unlikely that this person will ever inherit a million dollars.

iii) 1. What would happen if…? - In groups, students respond to different second conditional sentences. Then they predict how the other group will answer.
2. Complete the conditional- Give students half a conditional and instruct them to complete it with their own ideas.

iv) 1. What would happen if everyone could fly like Superman?
If everyone could fly, no one would need cars.
If everyone could fly, people could travel the world in minutes.

2. If I won the lottery…  Student can answer, “I would buy 5 Ferraris.”
… I would tell everyone what to do. “If I was president,”


e) If water freezes, it turns to ice.

i) Zero conditional

ii) It refers to actions and facts that are irrefutable. In this case, it is absolutely certain that you get ice when you freeze water.

iii) 1. Split sentences- Cut various zero conditional sentences in half and mix them up so that the students can put them back together again.
2. Perfect Conditions- The teacher says a consequence and students must come up with possible conditions in the zero conditional form that could lead to that consequence. For fun, students could compete to see who comes up with the most creative.

iv) 1. If there is no sunlight                                           tomorrow is Tuesday.                  
If it is Monday today                                                     it is in the air.
If the plane is not on the ground                                    it is night.

2. It is heavier than me….. if it weighs more than an elephant.
                                            if I add 39 more pounds.
The water boils….. if it is 100 degrees Celsius.


Task 2 – Complete the table below with the appropriate tense changes for reported speech, when the reporting verb is in the past:

Direct speech
To
Reported speech
Present simple

Past simple
Present continuous

Past continuous
Present perfect

Past perfect
Present perfect continuous

Past perfect continuous
Past simple

Past perfect
Past continuous

Past perfect continuous
Will

Would
Past perfect

Past perfect
Past perfect continuous

Past perfect continuous


Task 3 – Use the table you completed in task 2 to change the verb tense, and re-write these sentences in reported speech:
Example:
John said “I’m going out for a few minutes”
John said he was going out for a few minutes.

a) Paul said “I go swimming on Tuesdays”.
Paul said (that) he goes swimming on Tuesdays.

b) Jamie said “John has never been to London”.
Jamie said (that) John has never been to London. The fact that John never went is still true.

c) “Do you want fish or chicken?” she asked.
She asked him if he wanted fish or chicken.

d) “How are you?” she asked.
She asked me how I was.

e) Keith said “I went fishing before lunch”.
Keith said (that) he had gone fishing before lunch.

f) Fred said “I will be arriving after dinner”.
Fred said (that) he would be arriving after dinner.


Task 4 – Report these spoken remarks to a friend, making the necessary changes. The first one has been done for you:
1) “I love it!”                                                  
She…       She said that she loved it.

2) “I am leaving in half an hour.”                  
He…               He said (that) he was leaving in half an hour.

3) “The rain has stopped.”                             
You…             You said (that) the rain had stopped.

4) “I’ve been playing it for 2 hours!”             
He…               He said (that) he had been playing it for 2 hours.

5) “I had breakfast earlier”.                           
She…              She said (that) she had had breakfast earlier. (in the past perfect tense)

6) “Were you living in London in ’96?”        
She…              She asked me if I had been living in London in ’96.

7) “I have bought 3 pizzas”.                          
He…               He said (that) he had bought 3 pizzas.

8) “I’d been waiting for 30 minutes”.            
You…             You said (that) you had been waiting for 30 minutes.

9) “We’ll be in Bangkok in July”.                  
They…            They said (that) they would be in Bangkok in July.

10) “Will you be coming back?”                    
She…              She asked me if I would be coming back.


Task 5 – In part a) below, today changes to that day in reported speech. What would the following time expressions change to in reported speech? Write a sentence in direct speech followed by one in reported speech to illustrate each change. The first one has been done for you as an example.
a) today – that day

Direct speech – He said “I feel great today!”

Reported speech – He said that he felt great that day.


b) tomorrow – the next day/ the day after
           
Direct speech – He said, “They will arrive tomorrow.”

Reported speech – He said (that) they would arrive the next day.


c) yesterday – the day before/ the previous day
           
Direct speech – She said, “I was baby-sitting yesterday.”

Reported speech – She said (that) she had been baby-sitting the day before.


d) next week – the week after
           
Direct speech – You said, “I’m going to Japan next week.”

Reported speech – You said (that) you were going to Japan the week after.


e) last week – the previous week/ the week before

Direct speech – They said, “We saw Kim with John last week at the party.”

Reported speech – They said (that) they had seen Kim with John the week before at the party.


f) this week – that week

Direct speech – He said, “I’m playing football this week.”

Reported speech – He said (that) he was playing football that week.


Task 6 – Give 3 activate stage teaching ideas for reported speech, giving examples of  sentences you would expect your students to produce during each activity.

1. Telephone- Students form a line, and the first student in line makes up a random sentence and whispers it quietly to the next. Then that student repeats that sentence to the next student except it is in reported speech form. As it goes down the line, the sentence becomes more and more convoluted. The last person in line tells the class what he/she heard.
1st student (Jane): I saw a purple dog.
2nd student (Ricky): Jane said that she has seen a purple dog.
3rd student (Tom): Ricky said that Jane has seen a purple dog. And so on…

2. Media interviews- Student role-play a news anchor and report third parties speech.
For example, In today’s news, Sarah Palin said that she would not be running for president this year.

3. Higher level students are asked to make a list of verbs that can replace the ‘reporting’ verb, such as say, admit, tell, deny, etc. Each group is then given a collection of direct speech sentences. The students must choose one of those ‘reporting’ verbs and alter the sentence to ‘reported’ speech.
 For example, “I love the movie Bee!”
Susan shouted/exclaimed that she loved the movie Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment